College of Professional Studies
Master of Science in Project Management
The Master of Science in Project Management is designed to provide you with the practical skills and theoretical concepts you need to lead complex projects.
Arlington, VA in the National Capital Region
Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter
Companies succeed or fail based on their ability to bring quality products and services to market in a timely manner. Rapid technological and digital transformation, with never-ending disruption, requires project managers to be true innovators within their organizations. Without skilled project managers in place, companies are challenged to deliver projects on time, on budget, and according to specifications. From inception to completion, project managers are responsible for every step in the process: project definition, cost and risk estimation, schedule planning and monitoring, budget management, negotiation and conflict resolution, project leadership, and project presentation and evaluation.
Featuring real-world case studies and project work, this project management degree presents techniques and tools for managing long- and short-term projects, successfully and cost effectively. Augmenting the core project management courses are concentrations that provide you with content-specific expertise—enabling you to deepen your knowledge in your field of interest.
The mission of the Master of Science in Project Management in the College of Professional Studies is to prepare learners as project management practitioners capable of applying project management processes and the technical, professional, and strategic expertise necessary for managing projects successfully. With emphasis on experiential learning, the program provides dynamic opportunities for learners with varying degrees of work experience to practice their knowledge both globally and collaboratively while implementing traditional and innovative project management concepts to real-life and complex projects.
- Our program is designed to include practical experimentation throughout. Early courses rely on individual experiences simulated with software, evolving to group experiential network projects sponsored by local businesses before culminating in a complex, individually managed real-world project in the capstone course.
- Students’ past professional experience in project management may be eligible for degree credit toward the program.
- Our curriculum is organized into a sequence of logical, bite-sized morsels, which make it easier to be a part-time student. We offer 6-week courses in fundamentals, scope, schedule and budget, quality assurance, and risk management so that in just 18 weeks, students will have practical learning under their belt to put into practice.
- Our curriculum supports a deeper dive into topics of relevance through concentration courses, including analytics, agile project management, construction management, leadership, organizational communication, project business analysis, and leading and managing technical projects.
- This program was designed using a network approach, where each of the six campuses has a principal instructor who owns ongoing monitoring for content updates and quality delivery across our adjunct faculty. This means that you are not only exposed to content in a more streamlined and organized manner, but you’ll also benefit from the ongoing perspective of a large, global faculty community who are actively monitoring one another to assure quality across each classroom.
- Our STEM-designated degree is delivered through a hybrid model of online and on-site learning, allowing students to take courses every term, taking advantage of the program’s “always-on” approach to learning.
- Specialized Knowledge – Effectively lead and manage sometimes interrelated, complex projects in a mature manner while avoiding common project management pitfalls.
- Broad, Integrative Knowledge – Manage project scope, risk, quality, and performance metrics while effectively communicating with all project stakeholders.
- Civic Learning – Understand the need for ethics and social responsibility in the practice of project management as outlined in the PMI Code of Ethics.
- Intellectual Skills – Develop the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills necessary to lead projects in a complex and dynamic project environment.
In 2021, the Master of Science in Project Management accreditation was re-affirmed for the maximum five-year accreditation cycle (originally accredited in 2009) by the PMI Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (GAC), the world’s leading association for project management professionals. Accreditation is achieved by meeting the GAC’s rigorous standards, which include an assessment of program objectives and outcomes, a review of onsite and online resources, evaluations of faculty and students, and proof of continuous improvements in the area of project management.
Graduates of our GAC-accredited program are granted a substantial 12-month reduction credit toward the experience requirement when they complete an application for any PMI certification. This means that those applying for the PMI certification will only need 24 months of project management experience, instead of 36 months as outlined by GAC. This new benefit applies retroactively to our program’s initial accreditation date of 2009.
|MS in Project Management
According to PMI, through the decade ending in 2020, 15.7 million new project management roles will be created. The profession is expected to grow by US $6.61 trillion. Now is the time for professionals and job-seekers to build project management skills, as demand for these skills outstrips supply.
In the United States, this growth will mean:
- Rising salaries
- Growth in the project-intensive sectors of manufacturing, business services, finance and insurance, oil and gas, information services, construction, and utilities
In 10 countries (Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, India, Japan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom) with established or quickly developing project-intensive sectors, project management roles are expected to grow by 13.4 million through 2020
Tuition and Aid
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships. Learn more from Student Financial Services.
For 100+ years, we’ve designed our programs with one thing in mind—your success. Explore the current program requirements and course descriptions, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
Northeastern’s signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace. This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term:
Additional information for international applicants can be found at the Office of Global Services (OGS). OGS is an active resource to over 20,000 international students and scholars from 147 different nations across the world. They provide the professional expertise and support you need to maintain compliance through immigration, academic, and your employment experiences—helping you remain a valuable member of the Northeastern community.
How to Apply
Learn more about the College of Professional Studies’s admissions process and required materials.
Complete the form below and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.