Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Cybersecurity — Align
Thinking about a career in cybersecurity but don’t have a technical background? The Align Master of Science in Cybersecurity at Northeastern University’s Khoury College of Computer Sciences is proven to deliver strong career outcomes. Start your new career in tech in just 2.5–3 years.
Top faculty who are experienced in teaching beginners guide you through two semesters of graduate bridge courses before you dive into technical coursework in cybersecurity and contextual work in law, forensics, criminology, social sciences, policy, and management. Projects with top companies and opportunities for a four-to-eight-month paid co-op position you for ideal career placement.
Arlington, VA in the National Capital Region
2.5 – 3 Years
f-1 visa ELIGIBLE
Break into cybersecurity to make an impact
Technology thrives on unexpected ideas and perspectives like yours. The Align cybersecurity program embraces your diverse background and gives you the skills and connections to be successful. Align students come from 150+ disciplines, including political science, pre-law, criminal justice, military, business, and more.
- Flexible pathway in a supportive learning environment, with full-time and part-time options, as well as online options after you complete the two-semester bridge
- Talented faculty who love teaching newcomers to technology
- Opportunity for full-time, paid co-op or internship
- Academic and career advisors to guide you through the program to a satisfying career
Get started in Arlington, a cybersecurity hub with a direct line to federal employers
The D.C. metro area is home to more than 200 cyber tech firms—one of the largest clusters in the country. And Washington, D.C., is just a train ride away, with even more resources and opportunities.
Strong labor market with many federal organizations and companies with high-security needs:
- Ranked as one of the best tech talent markets in North America by CBRE (2023)
- 28.5% wage growth for tech positions over five years (D.C. area, CBRE, 2023)
- 4,067+ open jobs for cybersecurity professionals in Arlington and the D.C. area (Glassdoor, October 2023)
- The Department of Defense and National Security Agency designated Northeastern as a National Center of Academic Excellence for Cyber Operations.
- Collaborating with experts in industry, government, and academia worldwide, the Cybersecurity and Privacy Institute’s faculty and students research, develop, and enhance technologies on which the world relies.
- As part of an R1 institution, faculty pursue research topics in consumer and corporate privacy and security.
- Graduates join the network of 10,000+ Khoury College alumni working around the world.
Cybersecurity is one of the most in-demand fields worldwide
Most Khoury College graduates in cybersecurity immediately get jobs with top employers, often through their co-op or internship company. Example employers include Amazon, Google, Raytheon, Fidelity, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, and many more.
In the United States, there has been a 0% unemployment rate for cybersecurity since 2016, and the global need for cybersecurity professionals is estimated at 3.5 million (TechGenix, 2022; Cybercrime Magazine, 2023). The median annual pay for information security analysts in the United States is $112,000 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2022).
- Available in person at the Boston and Arlington, VA, campuses
- Co-ops and internships available
- Potential financial support is available through a combination of paid, full-time co-op or internship placements, teaching assistant and tutor positions, Federal Student Aid, and scholarships from Northeastern’s philanthropic and corporate partners
What makes Align an employer-preferred program is the curriculum’s connection to industry’s needs. Khoury College listens to its 700+ employer partners and provides education in both technical and contextual areas. You’ll understand the computer science and business, legal, and political factors that impact cybersecurity. Interdisciplinary coursework and experiential learning make graduates highly employable.
- Two semesters of graduate bridge courses
- Two courses in technical areas
- Two courses in contextual areas
- Choose from technical or contextual electives
- Add optional qualifications like a concentration in criminology or a graduate certificate in engineering leadership
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships. Learn more from Student Financial Services.
Co-op makes the Northeastern graduate education richer and more meaningful. It provides master’s students with up to 12 months of professional experience that helps them develop the knowledge, awareness, perspective, and confidence to develop rich careers. In addition to the esteemed faculty, many students enroll in the master’s programs largely because of the successful co-op program.
Graduate students typically have an experiential work opportunity following their second semester. This could be a six- to eight-month co-op or a three- to four-month summer internship. Those who initially experience co-op may have the opportunity to seek an internship for the following summer, or vice versa.Student participation in experiential education provides enhanced:
- Learning, technical expertise, and occupational knowledge
- Confidence, maturity, and self-knowledge
- Job-seeking and job-success skills
- Networking opportunities within your desired career path
Northeastern’s co-op program is based on a unique educational strategy that recognizes that classroom learning only provides some of the skills students will need to succeed in their professional lives. Our administration, faculty, and staff are dedicated to the university’s mission to “educate students for a life of fulfillment and accomplishment.” Co-op is closely integrated with our course curriculum and our advising system. The team of graduate co-op faculty within the Khoury College of Computer Sciences provides support for students in preparing for and succeeding in their co-ops.
These multiple connections make co-op at Northeastern an avenue to intellectual and personal growth: adding depth to classroom studies, providing exposure to career paths and opportunities, and developing in students a deeper understanding that leads to success in today’s world.
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
|Deadline for international applicants:
|Deadline for domestic applicants:
Additional information for international applicants can be found at the Office of Global Services (OGS). OGS is an active resource to over 20,000 international students and scholars from 147 different nations across the world. They provide the professional expertise and support you need to maintain compliance through immigration, academic, and your employment experiences—helping you remain a valuable member of the Northeastern community.
How to Apply
Learn more about Khoury College’s admissions process and required materials.
Complete the form below and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.