Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Master of Science in Computer Science – Align – Arlington
Northeastern University’s Align program gives students without a background in computer science (CS) a direct path to an MS in computer science and a rewarding tech career. Gain professional computer science experiences and connections in Arlington, VA, and the wider D.C. area—where major players work, key decisions are made, and the tech of the future is developed.
Break into tech with any background
You don’t need a background in tech to have a future in it. Break into tech with Align, a program designed for motivated students and professionals with a bachelor’s degree in any discipline. Earn your master’s in computer science from Northeastern on the Arlington, VA campus, where diverse and unexpected ideas are encouraged.
- Align Master of Science in Computer Science is designed for students without a background in tech
- Unique CS learning environment where diversity of thought is valued
- Close-knit group of peers from different industries to move through the program with you
- Faculty with connections to top Arlington and National employers
- Incredible opportunities for paid, full-time co-op or internship to help you break into the tech industry
- Develop the ability to recognize and solve problems arising in modern computing
- Assimilate ideas and concepts from theoretical studies and hands-on design and programming
- Acquire skills in software and application design, network infrastructure, and other dynamic and emerging computer science areas
Employers are actively looking for computer scientists with diverse backgrounds in law, music, biology, business, physics, education, biomedical science, language, and more. Advance in your current field or pivot to a new career. Arlington and the surrounding D.C. area offer an extremely favorable employment outlook in tech:
- 3 market for tech talent in North America (D.C. area, CBRE, 2021)
- 4 (D.C.) and #5 (Arlington) best city for young professionals (Niche.com, 2022)
- 10.5% wage growth for tech positions over five years (D.C. area, CBRE, 2021)
- 6,470+ open jobs for software developers in Arlington alone (Glassdoor, May, 2022)
Attend a Break into Tech event
Curious about whether Align is right for you? Join this free 1.5-hour workshop (virtual or in-person) on how computer science touches our world. You’ll even get to try out a project with peers from diverse backgrounds like you.
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2021-2022 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships. Learn more from Student Financial Services.
For 100+ years, we’ve designed our programs with one thing in mind—your success. Explore the current program requirements and course descriptions, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
Co-op makes the Northeastern graduate education richer and more meaningful. It provides master’s students with up to 12 months of professional experience that helps them develop the knowledge, awareness, perspective, and confidence to develop rich careers. In addition to the esteemed faculty, many students enroll in the master’s programs largely because of the successful co-op program.
Graduate students typically have an experiential work opportunity following their second semester. This could be a six- to eight-month co-op or a three- to four-month summer internship. Those who initially experience co-op may have the opportunity to seek an internship for the following summer, or vice versa.Student participation in experiential education provides enhanced:
- Learning, technical expertise, and occupational knowledge
- Confidence, maturity, and self-knowledge
- Job-seeking and job-success skills
- Networking opportunities within your desired career path
Northeastern’s co-op program is based on a unique educational strategy that recognizes that classroom learning only provides some of the skills students will need to succeed in their professional lives. Our administration, faculty, and staff are dedicated to the university’s mission to “educate students for a life of fulfillment and accomplishment.” Co-op is closely integrated with our course curriculum and our advising system. The team of graduate co-op faculty within the Khoury College of Computer Sciences provides support for students in preparing for and succeeding in their co-ops.
These multiple connections make co-op at Northeastern an avenue to intellectual and personal growth: adding depth to classroom studies, providing exposure to career paths and opportunities, and developing in students a deeper understanding that leads to success in today’s world.
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
|Deadline for international applicants:||April 15, 2023|
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||August 1, 2023|
How to Apply
Learn more about Khoury College’s admissions process and required materials.